Being single today is a far cry from being single years ago. There were many single women who wondered if something was wrong with them if they were not married by a certain age. Many still seem to identify with and get totally wrapped up in the concept of “marriage”. For some, it is the social and family pressures that are put upon them from the day they are born. However, there is a trend of women who are realizing that being single has its advantages.
Many women are now choosing to delay when they are going to get married. They prefer to focus on getting to know themselves (Self-Identity) and having a higher awareness of what they really want in life and what is truly important. There are also some women who want to focus on their careers and friends.
Robin Williams once said: “I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone, it’s not. The worst thing in life is to end up with people that make you feel all alone.”
Many of us are beginning to realize this quote is so true and want to take action as to what we are seeking in this lifetime for our happiness and peace.
So now let’s see what some of the advantages of being single are:
1) Your Valuable Time. Your precious time to do anything that you want to do without any restrictions or limitations.
2) Your Goals. You can pursue your dreams and create the life you really want. You do not have to settle for other people’s expectations.
3) Better sense of who you are and what you want out of life. Having time for self-discovery and getting a chance to learn to love, respect, and trust yourself and your decisions.
4) Travel. Go places you have always wanted to go without any baggage of wants and needs of others.
5) Making Friends. Have various friends to pick from for companionship and going out to events, dinner, and shopping without relying on just one person who may limit you because of his/her likes and dislikes.
6) Attending Obligations. The only social and family obligations you have are with your own family and work.
7) No Guilt. So there is no problem saying ”no” if you are not in the mood to do it.
8) Your Money. Your spending habits do not affect anyone else. You get to enjoy the money that you make and save and/or spend what you want.
9) Career or School Freedom. You can make whatever choices you want regarding your career without suffering the guilt of time spent either on the job or studying.
10) Family Time. You can spend the time without guilt being with your family and benefit from getting to know them as everyone gets older.
11) Privacy. You will not have to worry about the times when your menstrual cycle has you running to the store because you started early and messed up your new white shorts or have to figure out how to hide your intimate pads and tampons.
12) Keeping Physically Fit. You can finally have the time to exercise or go to the gym and people watch.
13) Better Sex. Now you do have choices when you want it and with whom you want to have it with.
14) Better Sleep. No more listening to snoring unless it is you. More room to spread out with the comfort of your covers. Read or listen to music just prior to sleeping without any interruptions.
15) Movies/TV. Watch what you want and explore the channels (besides sport channels).
Sometimes being a teenager is rough when it comes to being single. For some teens, it means being unwanted, unloved or lonely. I would like to say a few words here regarding reasons why it is neat for teens to be single:
1) You have more opportunities to meet more people (male and female) if you are not stuck with just one person. No one gets jealous and you get to go out on dates with more people, not only from your own school but other schools. Not having a boyfriend/girlfriend makes it easier to meet new people.
2) You have greater chances of spending more quality time with friends. There is no one to be jealous of the time you spend with them.
3) Getting good grades. There will be fewer distractions if you want to pursue a certain career. You can balance your time with dating/school/work/family. You don’t have to worry if you have to study for a test late or study labs without any restriction.
4) Me Time. It is all about you to do what you want to do. You are independent and can do what makes you happy without the pressure of being in a relationship.
These are just a few ideas about why single life can work for you. It is always about your choices and how you perceive life. It is not about arguments or being codependent on your loved one.
Take your time and discover who you are in order to help you recognize the person who will be right for you. Remember: in order to love another, you have to love yourself. In order to trust another, you have to trust yourself. In order to respect another, you have to respect yourself.
So before choosing a mate, be kind to yourself. Enjoy and discover who you are in order to know what you are really looking for in your soul mate.
- Posted By: DRC Editor
- Comments: 0